A first impression is lasting, you only get the one chance. So you pluck up the courage to ask someone out on a date, or you accept an invitation of going on a first date, how do you make a great first impression?
I went along to one of AsianD8’s Speed Date Events, to speak to you all and get down to the source. From the opinions and thoughts that I gathered from you all, these are my Top Tips on making a Great First Impression:
- SMILE When you see each other for the first time, a smile will help make you feel comfortable. Just let that guard down, what have you got to lose?
- PREPARATION helps calm the nerves, before your date do something that will calm you down or mentally prepare you for your date. It could be a gym session or putting on some music whilst you get ready.
- BE YOURSELF, this is so important, you do not want to start on false pretences as you do not know where this first date could lead to.
- PLAN AN OUTFIT, what you wear can be a projection of who you are. Be comfortable and happy. Do not feel shy to get a second opinion, maybe send a picture to your best friend.
- DO NOT PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON YOURSELF, lets face it you are both in the same boat, after all, it is your first date. Enjoy it and have fun! Whatever happens afterwards, happens for a reason.
Talking to the lovely ladies at the event, they all agreed they do not like rehearsed lines. So boys, do not feel the need to have lines memorised. Be yourself and that should be enough. The girls love a smile, a smile is really inviting and makes a great first impression. Don’t hold back lads, just smile and have fun.
“It’s not necessarily about looks, it’s more about about how you carry yourself and how you come across.” Hear more of what some of you had to say below:
The men expressed the way a girl looks does strike them first. So ladies, planning an outfit is always fun. Pick an outfit that projects your personality, have fun with colours and prints. Create an outfit that makes you feel sexy and confident.
“Just be yourself, talk naturally and let the flow go wherever it takes you” – Some of the great feedback given from one of the male guests below:
We also spoke about turn offs and what we cannot stand on a first date. Both men and woman agreed somebody that is obnoxious and constantly talks about themselves is a massive turn off. When you are on a date, listening is key, especially when you are getting to know each other. It is not a talent show. Arrogance is a no no, it does not make you look good and you probably will not make it to a second date. Be humble. Lack of honesty and glorifying yourself and your lifestyle comes off as negative. You should be proud of who you are and what you do, just be honest.
Press play below to hear what some of the ladies at the AsianD8 event had to say about first impressions and their biggest turn offs:
The majority of you agreed the first impression is important, but were open minded enough to not base a judgement solely on this first impression as the person may be having a bad day or is very nervous. Everyone agreed that as much as looks are important, the person has to be themselves and their personality should shine through. This will hopefully lead to a spark between you. Conversation should flow freely and both of you should be able to talk; one person should not over power the other.
Just remember you are both in the same boat, do not put too much pressure on yourself. You may be getting pressure from family or friends, but don’t rush into things. Love takes time and when you do find it, it is amazing. It is worth the wait.
Bio: Krupa Chavda runs a Blog www.krupaaroundtown.com which specialises in Lifestyle, Fashion, Make-Up, Beauty and Dance. She is a professional Dance Artist that is also passionate about writing and launched her Blog in February 2016. It features reviews, brand collaborations and lots of fun. Check it out.