Break ups are hard, we all know that. Wine, pizza and junk foods become our best friends. Another one of our best friends becomes a tragic love story but it’s not just a tragic love story that can accompany us in our hour of need, after we have been dumped, had our hearts stomped on and basically made us question our existence. To help you through this time I have put together a list of movies to help you get through this tough time.
- Bridget Jones Diary (2001) – a classic girly rom-com starring Renee Zellweger pre her new face about a woman who starts a diary and finds love in the process.
- The Holiday (2006) – every woman has probably contemplated inhaling gas like Kate Winslet did (DON’T DO IT!) after being dumped, but finding love all the way in LA isn’t such a bad thing, right?
- Jab We Met (2007) – Geet is a vibrant young woman, travelling to Punjab to see her family after finishing college. Very much in love, Geet didn’t realise fate had something else in-store.
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1988) – a lesson in love, that if you’re meant to be with someone then whatever happens, you will end up with them eventually in true Karan Johar style.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961) – not so much about break up’s but don’t we all want the style and grace of the beautiful Audrey Hepburn. And which girl doesn’t dream of Tiffany’s 😍
- 500 Days of Summer (2009) – men get dumped too and in this movie a guy reflects on the 500 days he spent with his ex-girlfriend – a great quirky and feel good movie.
- Kal Ho Na Ho (2003) – because sometimes no matter how much you love someone, they just aren’t meant to stay in your life, so live each moment like it is your last.
- Clueless (1995) – who doesn’t want to escape into the fluffy teenage world occupied by the rich kids of Beverly Hills?
- Pretty Woman (1990) – proof that no matter who you are and what you do, love can find you at any place and any time (although it does help if you look like Julia Roberts!)
- Dil To Pagal Hai (1997) – because sometimes he will always love someone else.
- Zindagi Na Milegi Dobra (2011) – friends are the family you choose, they will always have your best interests at heart, and sometimes they might not even like your partner anyway.
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) – again, men can have their heart-broken too. Russell Brand’s craziness in this movie will just make you laugh and also want to go to Hawaii.
- Love Actually (2003) – every couple, in every walk of life goes through situations – this movie helps you see everything from a different point of view. Also it is the best Christmas movie ever.
- Ladies Vs Ricky Bahl (2003) – or basically any movie starring Ranveer Singh. Because Ranveer Singh makes everything better. This film in particular features some very strong women and beautiful Goa so definitely a great break up movie.
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) – Barcelona is beautiful and especially with girlfriends but not when a man gets in between you or even worse an ex-wife!
- Thelma and Louise (1991) – you can do or anything or get away with murder with a little help from your girlfriends.
- The Break-Up (2006) – getting even with your ex has never been so much fun!
- My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997) – sometimes you just have to suck it up and accept you’re single. But with a hot dress and great make-up you will always be fabulous.
- 27 Dresses (2008) – if Katherine Heigl can’t get the man she wants then what chance do you have, so enjoy that thought!
- Cinderella (2015) – because Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life, so basically don’t bother watching this movie and go shopping!
- Magic Mike (2012)– because Channing Tatum and his dancing and his abs.
- Aisha (2010) – an official Indian remake of Emma, this will just make you feel good about yourself and also wish you had Sonam Kapoor’s wardrobe!
- He’s Just Not That Into You (2009)– if there is just one film that you should watch after a break-up it is this. Based on the book of the same name, this film follows a number of different relationships and shows their ups and down. Post rejection or break up, women will particularly relate to the character of Gigi and her obsessing over dates she has been on.
- Any James Bond Film – because Bond men are hot, especially Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan. Also bond women are badass and we all need some badass-ness in our lives. That is all.
- Queen (2013) – Rani gets stood up at the altar so goes on her honeymoon by herself. In the process she sees the world, makes new friends, has some crazy adventures, flirts and realises how much of an idiot her ex was.
- Dil Chahta Hai (2001) – the importance of friends once again is shown in this movie. Love, live, travel with them and make memories to last forever.
- Mary Kom (2014) – a powerful movie based on real life female boxer Mary Kom. If Priyanka Chopra doesn’t make you want to go to the gym, become a badass, work out and forget the man that broke your heart (and get a hot body in the process) I don’t know what else will.
- Wake Up Sid (2009) – sometimes you just have to make a new start, meet new people and get out of your comfort zone. The perfect post break-up movie to make you smile.
However hard it seems though, you WILL be fine. It’s ok to have a couple of days or weeks of sadness, it is perfectly normal. Embrace those moments, dust yourselves off and get browsing those AsianD8 profiles because remember that there is plenty of fish in the sea.
Bio: Priya Mulji is a marketer and columnist based in London. Specialising in all things love, you can check out her blog at http://www.priyamulji.com